Besides the medical oncologists who weigh surgery/chemotherapy/ radiotherapy options for the patient and finalize the plan of treatment, our caregiver team will be intimately familiar with both the patient and their family history. The advantage of our limited size and treatment philosophy will be that the patient and the family will be a part of our family.
MRCCC has a full-fledged laboratory to support cancer treatment and cancer marker studies. All patients will have a complete blood count, liver function tests and kidney function tests done prior to all cycles of chemotherapy to ensure tolerance and compliance.
Emergency Care at MRCCC
Patients are protected by our emergency resuscitative measures should anything go wrong. However, there are no immediate complications of chemotherapy apart from anaphylaxis, which is very rare. However, our centre is equipped with defibrillators and pulse-oximeter for advanced cardiopulmonary monitoring and resuscitation. We are fully equipped to handle any emergency.
Ancillary Services at MRCCC
Every day, we fight cancer. It is all we do. And we attract the kind of professionals who go the extra mile in doing it; people who are not only highly skilled, but are also willing to look at all the options in a fully integrated patient focused approach.
- Dietary Counseling:Stress on high calorie diet is usually missing for these patients. The patients need to be told about how much to eat and how to complete daily intake of calories.
- Light exercises after chemotherapy like brisk walking and non-contact exercises need to be encouraged.
- Psychotherapy: Patients suffer from low self-esteem and fear of rejection from families. Proper family counseling can go a long way in convincing patients to have positive attitude. And positive attitude brings positive results!
- Sexual counseling: Post-mastectomy women are the most sufferers. They need to be convinced that they are important as a person, not their organs. Issues like sex during/ after chemotherapy and potential sterilizing side effects of chemotherapy need to be addressed.
- Family counseling: Human relationships are thrown into turmoil. Financial issues like inheritance, affordability of treatment creep in. It is important to teach the family to stay together in these times.
- Rehabilitation: To help the patient go back to job is of utmost importance. The patient is scared of having faded away from the colleagues’ memories.
- Nausea/ vomiting reduction program: Not only can counseling reduce nausea/ vomiting, anticipatory vomiting relies solely on counseling for treatment.
- Disease Prognostication: Patients are explained cancer diagnosis, treatment, side effects, need for blood components, lab investigations, duration of treatment and next appointment in detail.